A really forgiving recipe, with little chance of cracking.
Recipe (adapted from Enne Ty)
- 4 yolks
- 15g sugar
- 60g coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste
- 35g cooking oil
- 75g cake flour sifted
- 4 egg whites
- 50g sugar
1. Line a 11″ by 11″ baking tray. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
2. Beat yolks with the 15g sugar with hand whisk till it turns light. Add in cooking oil and continue to whisk till well mixed.
3. Add in pandan paste and coconut milk and whisk till combined.
4. Add sifted flour and fold with spatula till no dry flour.
5. With mixer, beat egg whites till frothy. Add sugar in 2 batch and beat still firm peak.
6. Add 1/3 meringue into yolk batter and mix with hand whisk. Then add yolk batter back to meringue and fold with spatula till no traces of white.
7. Pour batter into lined tray and smoothen surface.
8. Bake at 190 deg for about 15-18 min. Check with fingers that there is no squishy sound, cake springs back when lightly pressed. Then cake is done.
9. Removed from tray and peel off bottom baking paper.
10. Place cake on wire rack to cool with brown surface on top, covered with clean baking paper.
11. After cake has cooled, spread with jam of your choice. I did a combo here of kaya and Nutella. Whipped cream with some kaya added to become kaya chantilly cream works very well too.
12. Roll up using baking paper and wrap. Chill in fridge.
13. Slice with a clean sharp nice.