Yes, lemon again. My whole family loves it, so I bake it. Try this recipe, it’s so light, it almost doesn’t feel like dessert. There’s no butter, no coconut cream and not too heavy on oil and sugar.
Recipe (7″ chiffon tin)
Egg Yolk Mixture
- 4 large egg yolks
- 40 g sugar (increase to 50g if not using glaze)
- 80g vegetable oil
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 70g lemon juice
- 100 g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Egg White Mixture
- 5 egg white
- 40g sugar (increase to 50g if not using glaze)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 50g sugar powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 170 deg C. Assemble ingredients. Mix sugar (for yolk batter) together with zest and use spoon to press and stir, so that lemon oil will infuse into the sugar.
- Whisk yolks with sugar till pale and fluffy. Add in oil and whisk till well incorporated. Add in zest and mix.
- Sift flour with baking powder. Alternating flour and juice in 2-3 batches, fold in to yolk mixture till evenly mixed. Set aside.
- Whisk egg white till bubbly and add in cream of tartar. Add in sugar in 3 batches and whisk till white and glossy, till stiff peak.
- Add in 1/3 of egg white mixture to yolk mixture to loosen it.
- Then add the whole yolk mixture into the egg white mixture and fold gently with a spatula till evenly mixed. Pour into chiffon tin.
- Tap tin sharply to release air bubbles, and bake for 40 – 50 min till the top is golden brown and inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Overturn chiffon tin to cool cake and unmould when cake is cooled.