A really quick, easy one proof bun. And in classic butter sugar flavor which my kids loved.
Recipe (adapted from Fawn Setoh)
250g bread flour
10g milk powder or coffee mate
45g caster sugar
4g instant dry yeast
30g salted butter
120ml fresh milk
1 egg (55g to 60g)
1 egg for egg wash
9 butter cubes
Sugar to sprinkle
1. Place all ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl and mix at KA speed 2.
2. When a rough dough is formed, add in the butter. Continue kneading at KA speed 2 to 4. Stop intermittently to scrape down sides and turn dough around. Don’t knead at speed 4 for more than 1 min.
3. After about 20-30 min, check for window pane (must). Then use spatula to shape into smooth round dough. Cover and rest for 15 min.
4. Place dough on flat surface. Flatten and squeeze out air bubbles with palm. Divide into 9 portions (about 55g) and shape into balls. Do this by pulling down the sides of the dough, tucking it below and pinch to close the seams. Then roll on counter top to make it round. Place in lined baking tin.
5. Proof for 1 hour (with a cup of hot water in closed, SWITCHED OFF oven) till about 2-3 times in size. (Or you can cover and proof on counter top.)
6. Take the baking tin out of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 170 deg C.
7. Egg wash the dough with beaten egg. Using a pair of scissors, make slits on top and insert butter. Lastly sprinkle generously with sugar.
8. Bake in preheated oven of 170’C for 20 min till golden brown.
9. Remove from tin, remove baking paper and cool before eating.