OCC is a ladies’ cake. In my family, it’s popular with me and my girl. The boys don’t mind it. Somehow the orangey tangy taste goes so well with the soft fluffy texture. It really gives an illusion of lightness.
Recipe ( for 7″ chiffon cake tin)
- 100 g cake flour sifted with 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 85ml orange juice (I use Florida at room temp)
- Zest from 3 large oranges
- 4 egg yolks
- 40g sugar
- 80 ml oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
Egg white mixture
- 4 egg whites
- 50g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Use a ungreased chiffon tube pan that is not non-stick.
- Mix sugar for the yolk batter (40g) with the zest till fragrant.
- Hand whisk egg yolks, salt and sugar till pale and fluffy.
- Add in oil and whisk till incorporated.
- Add in vanilla essence and continue whisking.
- Add in 1/3 of flour then 1/3 orange juice and mix gently with spatula. Repeat till all flour and orange juice are used up.
- Beat egg whites with electric whisk till large bubbles form. Add cream of tartar.
- Add in sugar in 3 batches and beat till stiff peak.
- Mix 1/3 of meringue into yolk mixture to loosen.
- Pour yolk mixture into meringue and fold gently till evenly mixed.
- Bake at the lowest rack for 45 min or skewer comes out clean. If necessary cover TOP with aluminium foil to prevent the TOP burning.
- Once out of oven, overturn cake pan to cool.