OCC is a ladies’ cake. In my family, it’s popular with me and my girl. The boys don’t mind it. Somehow the orangey tangy taste goes so well with the soft fluffy texture. It really gives an illusion of lightness.
Recipe ( for 23 cm chiffon cake tin)
- 120 g cake flour sifted with 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 85ml orange juice (I use Florida at room temp)
- Zest from 3 large oranges
- 4 egg yolks
- 50g sugar
- 90 ml oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
Egg white mixture
- 5 egg whites
- 50g castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 175 deg C. Use a ungreased chiffon tube pan that is not non-stick.
- Hand whisk egg yolks and 50g sugar till pale and fluffy.
- Add in oil and whisk till incorporated.
- Add in salt and vanilla essence and continue whisking
- Add in 1/3 of flour then 1/3 orange juice and mix gently with spatula. Repeat till all flour and orange juice are used up.
- Finally mix in orange zest.
- Beat egg whites with electric whisk till large bubbles form. Add cream of tartar.
- Add in sugar in 3 batches and beat till stiff peak.
- Mix 1/3 of meringue into yolk mixture to loosen.
- Pour yolk mixture into meringue and fold gently till evenly mixed.
- Bake at the lowest rack for 45 min or skewer comes out clean. If necessary cover TOP with aluminium foil to prevent the TOP burning.
- Once out of oven, overturn cake pan to cool.