This messy hair cake is ultra soft and ultra yummy, being both sweet and savory. The cake is made using cooked dough method with no raising agents.
Recipe (7″ loose bottom tin)
- 60g oil
- 65g cake flour sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 75g cold milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 65g caster sugar
- 6g corn starch
- Pork floss
1. Heat oil under low heat for about 90s, till there fine lines showing on the base of pot.
2. Take pot off stove, add flour all at once and stir with hand whisk.
3. Add cold milk and stir till a coarse texture.
4. Add egg yolks one by one and stir till a smooth paste again. Set aside.
5. Add corn starch to sugar and mix till even.
6. Beat egg whites, add sugar (with the corn starch mixed in) in 3 parts, till a soft meringue.
7. Add 1/3 of meringue to yolk mixture and mix with hand whisk.
8. Pour yolk mixture back into the rest of meringue and mix with a spatula.
9. Add half of batter to an ungreased and unlined, loose bottom cake tin. Then add pork floss.
10. Add the rest of the batter, follow by some pork floss.
11. Bake at 165 deg c at the lowest rack. After about 15 min, you need to cover the top to prevent the floss from burning. I used a baking tray here. Continue to bake for another 25 min.
12. Cool in the tin, then run a knife to release the cake.