Here’s a first attempt that I’m really so pleased with. SMBC is really tasty, very stable to work with and spreads on real smooth.
I referenced Nasi Lemak lover’s and Wendy Inkk’s steps, but made slight adjustments to the recipe due to what I had on hand. It’s really not as daunting as I initially thought, but I was most nervous about cooking the egg whites, so be careful with that.
Recipe (for an 8″ cake with 2 layers)
- 120g of egg white (about 3 eggs)
- 250g salted butter (I prefer a more savory taste)
- 150 – 160g caster sugar.
1. Place egg whites in a metal mixing bowl. Prepare a pot of water and bring it to a simmer with low heat. Cut butter into cubes and leave it to soften a while.
2. Place the bowl on the pot and mix with hand whisk.
2. Start to add in sugar in 3-4 batches.
3. Mix constantly till all the sugar has melted in about a few minutes. Check with fingers. The mixture should be hot but not scorching (or the eggs will be cooked).
4. Take the bowl off the pot and whisk with a mixer.
5. Whisk till stiff peak and meringue is glossy.
6. Place the bowl on a plate of ice water.
7. Start to add butter one cube at a time. Butter must be softened but not yet melted.
8. The mixture will turn soft at first. Use spatula to scrape down the sides to ensure even mixing.
9. It will start to curdle as more butter is added.
10. After all the butter has been added, use a spatula to smooth it out. It won’t look so perfect yet, but will smoothen out further as you frost on the cake.
11. Here are more pics on how I frosted the cake, a butter walnut sponge.