Here’s a delicious and really easy Banh Mi recipe. The dough is easy to handle, skin is crackling and crusty and crumb is fluffy and soft.
Original recipe is here in Vietnamese on YouTube.
- 1 tsp yeast
- 5g sugar
- 155 g warm water
- 250g bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 10g olive oil
1. Add yeast, sugar and water to a bowl and let it stand for 15 min. You should see the yeast ‘bloom’.
2. After 15 min, add the rest of the ingredients into mixing bowl and add in the yeast mixture.
3. Knead on low speed till it comes together for 5 min, then on higher speed for about 10 min till smooth and elastic. Stop often to turn the dough and scrape the sides.
4. Oil a kneading mat lightlyand hands then place the dough onto the mat. Rest for 15 min.
5. Divide into 6 pieces about 70g each and then roll it round. Rest for 10 min covered with a cloth or cling wrap.
6. After resting, roll out each dough and swissroll up, shape into baguettes. Pinch the joints.
7. Place onto baguette baking tray and proof for 45- 60 min.
8. Preheat oven to 230 deg C. After 45 min of proofing, score the doughs and spray generously with water. Send immediately into the oven.
9. Bake with a bowl of water placed in the oven. Spray water onto doughs at 1 min, 3 min and 5 min into baking.
10. Remove bowl of water after 10 min and turn the tray. Bake for a total time of 20-25 min.