Did this easy red velvet cupcake recipe that makes a soft fine-crumb body. It bakes to a nice flat top using dry bake method and so very suitable to pipe on. Very satisfied.
The cream cheese frosting is not too sweet, and very rich-tasting so do adjust the sweetness to your liking. I hand whipped it and it’s pretty stable in our environment.
Recipe (makes 8 Cupcakes)
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 80g fresh milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp red colouring
- 40g butter
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 egg
Cream cheese frosting
- 125g cream cheese
- 60g butter
- 30g powder sugar
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder together
2. Add white vinegar to milk and leave to stand.
3. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
4. Add egg and whisk some more.
5. Add flour mixture in 2 batches and whisk lightly less than 5 sec after each addition.
6. Add the vanilla and colouring to the milk mixture now (which has been standing on the counter) and stir. Then add this liquid in 2 batches to the batter, whisk lightly after each addition.
7. Spoon in 8 cupcake liners and bake at 160 deg C for 25 mins. Add the batter to just more than 1/2 to 2/3 of the liners. Don’t over fill as it rises quite a bit. You can place a cup of water at the oven hotspot.
8. Leave the cupcakes to cool.
9. Place all frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl and hand whisk for 5 min or so till light and fluffy.
10. Pipe rosettes using Wilton 1M tip. Decorate as you like.