This smells absolutely gorgeous when baking, best eaten when freshly baked. I’m glad I tried and it’s not that difficult at all.
The topping may turn soft in half a day, just toast lightly and it will crisp up again.
Method (makes 10 buns)
- 1 Dough from Tearing Toast (Sponge dough) (流泪吐士/中种法）
- 60g salted butter
- 45g powder sugar
- 50g egg (about 1 egg)
- 50g plain flour
- 2.5 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 5 ml of hot water and allow to cool
- 10 pieces of butter, 8 to 10g each
1. Prepare the topping first. Whisk butter and sugar till light.
2. Add in beaten eggs in 3 parts and beat well after each addition. Beat till a cream texture.
3. Mix in sifted flour and cocoa butter till well mixed. Then add in coffee liquid and mix in.
4. Pack into piping bag and leave in fridge to chill.
5. Now for the bread. Divide dough into 10 pieces, about 50g each (this is from step 4 in the recipe link of the dough above.
6. Roll them round and rest for 20 min.
7. Flatten dough and wrap about 8 to 10g of butter into dough and roll round again.
8. Proof for 50 min to 60 min
9. Pipe topping onto dough.
10. Bake at 180 deg C for about 20 min.