Pretty chocolate swirl bread that’s a hit with the kids. I started with the very popular fragrant milk bread, and it was a soft, yummy loaf.
- 1 dough from here up till step 2
- 15g cocoa powder (use extra dark cocoa powder to get darker colour)
- 1 to 2 tsp water
- Chocolate chips
- Egg wash
1. After dough is just kneaded, divide into 2 parts equally.
2. Place 1 back into mixing bowl, add in Cocoa powder and 1 to 2 tsp water. Knead on low till mixed well.
3. Roll both doughs round and rest for 20 min covered.
4. After resting, roll out dough into long strip and fold 1/3 up and down as below. Rest for 10 min.
5. Roll both longer and flatter, then place chocolate dough above plain dough.
6. Continue to roll out very long, almost 2 A4 baking mats long. Keep the width the same as the Pullman tin. As you are rolling, you may dust the surfce very lightly to avoid sticking. Turn over to roll as well, to ensure both the chocolate and plain dough roll out evenly.
Add chocolate chips, but leave the last section without choc chips.
7. Swiss roll down from top. But leave a last section unrolled.
8. Use scraper or knife or pizza cutter to cut into 12 strips and twirl as shown. To get a nice design, i roll in opposite direction for each strand. I also twirl the same number of times for each strand and then arrange them very neatly so that the black and white portions are lined up.
9. Roll up fully and place into baking tin. Proof for 60 to 80 min till 80% of tin height.
10. Bake at 190 deg for 35 to 40 min. Cover with aluminum foil after 15 min if the top gets too brown. Unmould and cool on wire rack. Slice only after loaf has cooled.