This bun is crusty on the outside with a soft buttery centre. The bottom is toasted with butter and oh so crispy. The sprinkle of salt adds to the savory touch. Very yummy.
Recipe (adapted from here, for 6)
- 50g bread flour
- 50g water
- 1/8 tsp or Pinch of yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 120g bread flour
- 10g sugar
- 60g milk
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8g butter
- 5g butter x 6
1. Mix poolish with a spoon and set aside for 1 hour, followed by 12-16 hours in the fridge. Alternatively, set aside for 2-3 hours till bubbly.
2. Add all main dough ingredients (except salt and butter) and knead till elastic dough. Then add salt and butter and knead till window pane. Rest for 40 min.
3. Divide in 6 portions about 50g and roll them round. Rest covered for 20 min.
4. Prepare the butter.
5. Fold the rested round dough in half, then roll into carrot shape.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 35 cm.
7. Apply a thin layer of oil on top, this will help the layers separate when baking.
8. Place a piece of butter on the broad end and roll.
9. Proof on baking tin for 40 min.
10. 15 min before proofing is complete, pre heat oven to 200 deg c. Place an oven proof bowl into the oven at the same time, closer to the top rack.
11. When proofing is done, spray water onto the doughs and sprinkle salt.
12. Place baking tray into oven and pour hot water into the bowl. This will generate steam. Remove bowl with water after 6 min.
13 Bake a total time of 14 min, till golden brown. During baking, butter will flow out and sizzle the bottom. Cool and enjoy.