This is a fudgey brownie, not so much the Cakey style. It’s a very easy one bowl recipe. Another unique thing is that it uses cocoa powder only and zero baking powder or soda which might lend a metallic taste. Be sure to use Varlhona or other good quality cocoa powder, the taste will be absolutely delicious as my kids will attest.
Recipe (8″ square tin, adapted from here )
- 140g Butter
- 160g sugar (half brown and half white)
- 60g varlhona cocoa powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cold eggs
- 70g cake flour sifted
- 50g nuts (optional)
1. Add the butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Double boil till all butter has melted and stir to an even grainy mixture.
2. Let mixture cool slightly (but still warm to touch), then add in vanilla extract and eggs one by one. Stir vigorously after each addition of egg till mixture becomes smooth and glossy.
3. Add in the sifted flour and stir vigorously for 60 strokes. Add nuts if using.
4. Bake at 180 deg C for about 25-30 min. Then cool on a wire rack. The top will harden as it cools.