Thanks to my dear baking friend, Irene for sharing this Poolish starter bread recipe with me. I made slight adjustments. The bread is very tasty with the long proof and very soft with a spongy bite. The dough itself is very smooth and elastic and pulled a nice pane.
I made assorted buns here, custard round buns, fishbone bacon and cheese and pull part coconut buns. The dough is enough to make 12 buns of 45-50g dough each. Custard bun recipe has been shared before here.
Bread Recipe (for 12 buns, adapted from Alex Goh’s “Golden custard bun” in “The Art of Making Bread” book)
- 60g bread flour
- 60g water
- 1/16 tsp instant yeast
- 200g bread flour
- 50g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 40g sugar
- 1 egg
- 70g water
- 40g butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Mix Poolish ingredients together and cover with cling wrap. Ferment on countertop for 1 hour or up to 6 hours. Then ferment in the chiller for 12-16 hours.
2. Mix all main dough ingredients except salt and butter, together with the poolish. Knead till a rough dough. Add in butter and salt and knead till window pane.
3. Proof for 1 hour.
4. Turn the dough onto counter top, flatten gently to release gas. Divide into portions of 45-50g. Roll them into round doughs and rest for 10 min, covered.
Fillings (makes 5 buns)
- 60g gula Melaka
- 30g water
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 20g butter
1. Prepare the fillings ahead and keep them chilled. You can use desiccated or fresh coconut, but you must adjust the liquid.
2. Melt Gula Melaka in water in a pot over Low heat. Mix in desiccated coconut.
3. Melt butter in a pan and stir fry the coconut for a few minutes.
4. After coconut has chilled, press them into 20g balls.
5. Take a rested round dough, flatten gently to release gas. Press around the edges to make it thinner than the centre.
6. Turn dough around, place coconut ball in the centre and pinch to close. Place seam side down in a loaf pan.
7. Proof for 50 min. Place a strip of Pandan leave for flavour and deco. Then egg wash with a beaten egg.
8. Bake at 175 deg C for 20 min.
Bacon and Cheese Fishbone
1. Take a rested round dough and roll out to a rectangle shape.
2. Place bacon and cheese in the center, the pinch to close up.
3. Place seam side down on lined baking tray. Use a scissor and snip the sides 6-7 times.
4. Proof for 50 min. Eggwash and add scallions if prefer.
5. Bake at 175 deg C for 15-20 min.