This cooked dough recipe from Nasilemaklover gave the softest, fluffiest sponge cake that is so airily light. The texture is really amazing. See here.
Once again, don’t overheat the butter when doing the cooked dough. Bake at low then high temperature, according to the recipe. I’ve placed a cup of water at my oven’s hot spot and the top didn’t crack.
- 50g butter
- 50g cake flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 55g milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 50g caster sugar
- 6g corn starch
1. Line bottom of cake tin with paper, no need to grease sides. Pre-heat oven to 140 deg C.
2. Place butter in pot and heat till small bubbles form at edges (and not throughout). About 1 min. Then off the flames and take pot off the stove.
3. Add in cake flour and stir with handwhisk.
4. Add in cold milk and salt and stir till combine, forming a lumpy paste.
5. Next, add in yolks one by one to obtain a smooth paste. Set aside.
6. Stir corn flour into caster sugar till evenly mixed.
7. Beat egg whites till foamy. Start to add sugar gradually in a few batches and beat till stiff peak.
8. Add 1/3 of meringue to egg yolk mixture to loosen with hand whisk.
9. Add in another 1/3 and switch to spatula. Repeat for last 1/3 meringue. Pour batter slowly at a height into cake tin. Tap sharply against counter to release more bubbles.
10. Bake at 140 deg C for 25 min, 160 deg C for 15 min, 170 deg C for last 10 min. I placed a cup of water at my oven’s hot spot.
11. Invert to cool on wire rack. Then unmould by hand for clean sides.