These little buns are super addictive, my two boys each had 4 at a go, before they called it a day. Try to get better hot dogs, I used mozzarella and tomato hot dogs for these. The dough is based on Killer Toast Recipe, easy and quick.
Recipe (makes about 19-20)
- 260g bread flour
- 180g (1 egg plus milk)
- 30g sugar
- 3g yeast
- 2g salt
- 30g butter
- 20 mini hot dogs
Method (see details of kneading dough here)
- Before starting, blanch hot dogs in hot water and leave to dry completely on a kitchen towel.
- Mix all except butter, salt and hot dogs in a stand mixer till a rough dough forms. Then add in butter and salt and knead till window pane. Shape into a round dough and set aside to proof for about 1 hour.
- Flatter dough and divide into 25g each. Shape into round doughs and rest covered for 10 min.
- After resting, roll out using a rolling pin, fold 1/3 up and down. Then fold in half lengthwise and pinch into a tube shape. Repeat for all.
- I shaped them in 2 ways. For the first, roll out the tube with your hands to a carrot shape, pointed at one end. Then roll it out with a rolling pin till flat (pat away bubbles at edges). Finally swiss-roll up with hot dog in the centre.
- Method 2 is faster. Roll out the dough till flat (pat away bubbles at the edges), then wrap around hot dog like a blanket.
- Leave all to proof on the lined baking tray for about 50 mins. Egg wash with a beaten egg after proofing.
- Bake at 175 deg C for 20-25 min. To get even colouring, you can turn on the fan mode for the last 5 min.