These are individual portions, very satisfying as a one dish meal or served with salad on the side.
I made the crust with a combination of butter and olive cooking oil for better flavour, easier handling and crumbly mouth feel.
The filling is a bit of agaration (add as I cook) recipe and you should adjust to your taste like you would for other cooked dishes.
I have a recipe for 12 and you can freeze or chill them to store. Otherwise, you can half the recipe to make less.
Recipe (for 12 pies, 8cm diameter, 4 cm height)
- 500g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 125g salted butter
- 80g olive cooking oil (or other cooking oil but do not use extra virgin olive oil that has a low smoke point) (you can replace this oil with 125g butter to make all butter crust)
- 1 tsp salt (optional or adjust to taste)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2-3 tbsp ice water
- 1 onion chopped
- 450g minced beef (you can mix in a slab of sliced sirloin or ribeye to make up this weight, for greater taste and texture)
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 small carrots diced
- 1.5 to 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dry mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp cooking sake or chinese wine
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce or korean bbq sauce or worcestershire sauce (up to preference)
- Half a bowl of beef stock or water
- Half a bowl of water mixed with 2 tsp corn starch)
1. Start with crust. Add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir with spatula to mix well.
2. Add in butter and rub in till mixture is like grains.
3. Add in olive oil and mix in. Then add in beaten eggs. Mix and knead in till dough comes together. Add about 2 tbsp of ice water to allow the dough to form a smooth ball. Chill for 1 hour or more in fridge.
4. While dough is chilling, let’s prepare the filling. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in wok and fry onions. When fragrant, add in beef and stir fry. Add in sake.
5. Add in potato and carrot and stir fry.
6. Add in condiments like salt, pepper, herbs and sauce and stir fry. Add in a small half bowl of water or beef stock, then cover and simmer for 15 min till potato and carrot have soften.
7. Add cornstarch slurry to thicken up. Do a last taste test to see if you need to add more condiments.
8. Place into a dish to cool.
9. The pastry dough should be ready. Take about half first and place onto rolling mat, cover with baking paper and roll out till about 3 to 4mm thick.
10. Use a round bowl about 12 to 13 cm wide to cut out the shell body and another about 8 cm to cut out the shell cover.
11. Place into pie mould and press in neatly. Poke holes at the bottom with a fork.
12. Repeat till dough is used up. Fill with beef filling, place shell cover and pinch close with a fork or just fingers.
13. Egg wash with a whole beaten egg and a dash of freshly grounded black pepper. Bake at 180 deg C for 30 to 35 min. Can increase to 190 deg C for last 5 min if you prefer a darker crust.
14. Remove from oven and let it sit in mould for 5 min. Lift gently with fingers or a butter knife and it should come right out. Cool slightly before consuming.