We love these bagels, they have a light fruity aroma which each bite, and such a lovely purple hue. I packed it full with blueberries as much as the dough could take after a few trials. Don’t omit the lemon juice, it helps to preserve the purple colour.
- 100g fresh blueberries
- 10g lemon juice
- 60g water
- 250g bread flour
- 15g sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Put water, lemon juice, and blueberries in a blender and blend till fine.
2. Add all other ingredients into stand mixer, add in blueberry puree.
3. Mix at low speed (Kenwood 1-2) for 5 min to ensure all ingredients come together, scraping sides down and turning the dough. Then knead at higher speed for 5-10 min (Kenwood 3). Shape into a round dough and rest for 30 min. There is no need for window pane.
4. After proofing, flatten and divide into 7 or 8 pieces depending on whether you like larger or smaller bagels. Then roll round.
5. Go back to the first round dough, roll out then swissroll up as below. Repeat for all.
6. Go back to first dough, roll out longer. Flatten one end and wrap around the other end to form the bagel shape. Repeat for all. Proof for 30 min.
7. Heat up a pot of water, add a heap tablespoon of dark brown sugar. Do not boil, you should see small bubbles at the bottom of pot.
8. When proofing time is up, place bagel into pot. Blanch for 20s, turn the dough and blanch for another 20s. Then remove from pot. Repeat for all.
9. Place into oven preheated at 220 deg C. Bake using top and bottom elements for about 20 min.
10. Cool before consuming.