This dish is done by my hubby. A simple 5 ingredients recipe. No need for fancy ingredients and tedious steps. Just get a good slab of pork and do each step (like cleaning and drying skin) meticulously and you are guaranteed success. We used fresh Indonesian pork, and requested butcher to cut for roasting.
Our 1 kg slab was wipe out and the review was to “make more next time”.
1 kg pork belly
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 3 tsp of salt
Some white vinegar for skin.
1. Start with mixing the marinade evenly in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Score the meat side into 1 inch strips, about 1/2 inch deep. Do not cut through and be sure not to touch skin. The scoring allows marinade to penetrate.
3. Now to the skin. Pat dry. Use a blunt knife to scrape scum cleanly. Do this for a few mins carefully. Pluck off hair if needed.
4. Stack 2-3 fork and poke into the skin reaching the fat layer.
5. Turn over to meat side. Massage marinade into meat for at least 5 min, till you feel salt disappear. Do not touch skin. Again, do this step patiently. The massaging helps flavor penetrate.
6. Brush vinegar onto the skin and let dry (about 15 min to dry, best if you can hang meat to dry). Then repeat this step one more time. Vinegar helps to dry out skin.
7. Use a aluminum foil folded like a tray to cover sides and bottom of meat, leaving skin exposed. Fridge overnight. At least 24 hours and up to 3 days.
8. Remove aluminum and place meat on a wire rack for baking. Start with Grill at 220 – 230 deg till skin has crackled, about 20 – 30min. Check visually, you can see the skin forming little bubbles. Place a tray below to catch dripping oil.
9. When all or most of the skin surface has crackled, change bake mode at 180 deg C for another 1 hour.
10. Remove from oven. Allow the meat to cool for at least 30 min. Scrape off black or charred skin. Chopping from the meat side is easier for us.