A very easy recipe. There’s no issue of cracks at all. I used top heat only for the last few minutes to give it a brown top.
Best part of the taste is the refreshing lemon juice that cuts through the creamy cheese.
Recipe (6″ round tin)
- 125g digestive biscuits
- 60g melted butter
- 250g block cream cheese
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 90g Sourcream
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Start with a loose base or spring form cake tin so that the cake can be lifted when done. Line with baking paper.
2. Place digestive biscuits in a zip lock bag and crush with rolling pin.
2. Add in melted butter and mix well. Press into base of cake tin. I use a glass to help with pressing and neaten up with fingers. It will reach about 2/3 of the height of tin. Chill in fridge.
3. Cut cream cheese into cubes and leave it to soften for a while.
4. Add sugar and beat till well mixed.
5. Add in the egg, mix again.
6. Finally add in sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
7. Pour into bake tin, about 90% of the biscuit base height, and smoothen.
8. Bake in oven preheated at 160 deg C. Place 1 cup of water to prevent cracking. Bake for about 1 hour. The cake will rise high in the oven higher than the biscuit base. For the last few minutes, you can switch to 180 top heat only, to get a grilled top.
9. After time is up, leave to cool in oven with door ajar. The cake will sink back to about the original height.
10. The cake will be wobbly when warm or just baked. Chill in fridge for at least 5 hours.