Just wanted to make a simple birthday cake for mom-in-law who doesn’t take butter or cream, but loves banana, all sorts of nuts. This cake turned out to be such a hit with many converts saying they didn’t usually like banana or walnuts so much.
A note of caution, don’t use non-stick pans as I had to give my pan a real hard scrub which will surely damage the non stick coating. I just use a stainless steel pan.
Recipe (7″ round)
- one 7″ banana cake from here
- 1/2 bowl of chopped walnuts
- 50g chopped Gula Melaka
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
1. Prepare ingredients.
2. Heat nuts in pan with very gentle flames. Heat till nuts are light roasted with oil exuding.
2. Remove from heat and quickly add all the rest of ingredients, stirring quickly to form a slurry. Return to heat very gently if Gula Melaka does not melt properly.
3. Spread nuts onto cake, work quickly as mixture will thicken when cool. I use chopsticks to help me place the nuts neatly at the outer edge.