This soft and moist chocolate cake is adapted from Glazed. Thank you for a delicious, easy and fail-safe recipe that I can turn to for a quick celebration cake. Only adjustments I made was to reduce oil and sugar. I also reduce the recipe from 3 to 2 layers as I didn’t want such a big cake.
Cake (makes two 8″ cake layers)
- 175 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 40g Varlhona cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 175 g caster sugar
- 130 g hot coffee (1 tsp instant coffee top up with hot water)
- 100g vegetable oil
- 130 ml Buttermilk (or 3/4 tbsp white vinegar top up with full cream milk)
- 1.5 eggs (or 65g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate compound
- 1 can of Nestlé Cream (170g)
1. Preheat oven to 165°C for cakes. Grease and line two 8″ baking pan .
2. Sieve flour with baking powder and soda. Add rest of the dry ingredients and hand whisk to ensure they are well mixed.
3. In another bowl, mix buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add hot coffee and mix until fully combined which will take while. Final batter will be runny.
4. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake cake for 30 minutes.
5. Cool and remove cake from mould.
6. Next prepare the ganache. Heat the chocolate in a microwave for 1 min at low setting, till all melt. Pour in the cream.
7. Mix till fully combine and let it stand in room temp for 2 hours. It will become more firm and suitable for frosting.
8. Finally frost cake and decorate as desired.