This popular Taiwanese bun with simple toppings is surprisingly good, I added generous amount of white pepper into the mixture and the taste really has a robust kick.
For the plaits, do let the dough rest in between shaping so it will not be overworked or even tear.
Recipe (makes 9 plaits)
- One dough from here up to step 3.
- 60-80g chopped spring onion (can mix in coriander)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/4 to 1/3 tsp white pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (or butter or pork lard)
1. Mix all ingredients except dough in a bowl.
2. Divide dough into 27 pieces. Each should be around 17-20g. Roll into round balls and rest for 10 min.
3. Take out 3 balls at a time. Flatten and pat out any big bubbles gently then roll into equally long strips. Alternate between each strip to roll so that other strips can rest in between. Do not use too much strength or the dough may tear.
4. Plait the 3 strips and pinch the ends tightly. Repeat for other doughs.
5. Proof for 50 min.
6. Spoon spring onion mixture generously on top. If prefer, you can add on eggwash.
7. Bake at 175 deg C for 20 min.