Tearing Toast (Sponge dough) (流泪吐士/中种法)

I joined a Facebook group recently and everyone was making this toast. They all look awesome and I had to try.

This uses a sponge dough method and the 70 ml of whipping cream really makes the bread super soft and fragrant. I’m really happy with the final bread, so soft and so tall. Even the dough is so stretchy like fabric.

Recipe ( adapted from Peggy Lee)

Sponge dough

• 220g bread flour
  • 70g dairy whipping cream (can be replaced with yoghurt but whipping cream tastes better)
  • 60g milk or water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp yeast

Main dough

• 50g bread flour
  • 15g water
  • 30g sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 20g Butter

Method

1. Mix sponge dough recipe into a rough dough with hands or scrape. Cling wrap and keep on counter top for 1 hour or fridge for 12 hours. This timing is flexible, you can also leave on counter for about 30 min, chuck in the fridge for 2-3 hours for lunch, then continue to the next step.

2. When sponge dough is ready, tear into small chunks and add to stand mixer. Add in main dough recipe except salt and butter. Knead till a smooth dough.

3. Add in butter and salt. Knead till window pane. Rest this dough for 20 min.

4. Divide into 3 portions of about 170g. Roll it round and rest for 10 min.

5. Take one dough and roll out, pat away big bubbles. Fold 1/3 up and down. Repeat for the 3 doughs.

6. Go back to the first dough and now roll it long then Swiss roll up. Repeat for all 3. Place in baking tin to proof for 60 to 70 min till about 80 to 90% height of tin. Proof in a closed oven with a cup of hot water.

7. Bake at 190 deg C for about 40 min. You need to tent the top with aluminum foil after 10 min.

8. Cool completely before slicing.

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. Marie says:

Hi how do I tell if the sponge dough is okay or not?

1. oladybakes says:

No need to gauge this, just give the dough time as prescribed. Then move on to the next step.

2. Maryanne Lee says:

Hi. I tried making this yesterday, but it turned out like a cake texture. I left the sponge dough for exactly one hour on the counter top, but it did not have that tough feel that allowed tearing as per your picture above. But I continued with the second step after 1 hour. Any idea what I did wrong?

1. oladybakes says:

I have not encountered this before. Can only advise that you check your ingredients whether the right flour was used and if the yeast is well and alive.

3. Shally says:

Hi
    I tried this method and it reduced the dough kneading duration to window pane stage. Thank you for sharing !

1. oladybakes says:

Yes, it really does. The sponge dough is like an autolyse step.

4. Pooi Leng says:

Hi, can I replace the whipping cream with water as I seldom use whipping cream. Thanks. PL

5. Cornelia says:

What size is the tin? Thank you!

1. oladybakes says:

Pullman tin about 11/11/20 cm

6. leo jee leng says:

Be4 putting the sponge dough into fridge for 12 hrs, do i still need to place it on counter top for 1 hr of proofing?

1. oladybakes says:

If you intend to put in fridge for 12 hours, you can skip the 1 hr on countertop.