I joined a Facebook page recently and everyone was making this toast. They all look awesome and I had to try.
This use a sponge dough method and is a rather wet and sticky dough, it took me 45 min to knead to smooth and elastic. But I’m really happy with the final bread, so soft and so tall.
Recipe ( adapted from Peggy Lee)
- 220g bread flour
- 70g yoghurt (can be placed with dairy whipping cream)
- 60g milk
- 1/2 egg
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 50g bread flour
- 1/2 egg
- 30g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30g Butter
1. Mix sponge dough recipe into a rough dough with hands or scrape. Cling wrap and keep on counter top for 1 hour or fridge for 12 hours.
2. When sponge dough is ready, tear into small chunks and add to stand mixer. Add in main dough recipe except salt and butter. Knead till a smooth dough.
3. Add in butter and salt. Knead till window pane. Rest this dough for 20 min.
4. Divide into 3 portions of about 170g. Roll it round and rest for 10 min.
5. Take one dough and roll out, pat away big bubbles. Fold 1/3 up and down. Repeat for the 3 doughs.
6. Go back to the first dough and now roll it long then Swiss roll up. Repeat for all 3. Place in baking tin to proof for 1 hour. Proof in a closed oven with a cup of hot water.
7. Bake at 190 deg C for about 40 min. You need to tent the top with aluminum foil after 10 min.
8. Cool completely before slicing.