This cake has got no alcohol or gelatin, to observe dietary restrictions of the recipients. You can add Kahlua to the coffee syrup if you wish. Gelatin can also be added if you wish for more stability in case you need to transport the cake or leave it out at room temperature for a longer time. I stored the cake in the fridge the whole time and brought it out from the fridge only when serving.
The cake also uses raw eggs, do get pasturized eggs if you are concern, but do not omit as the meringue lends lightness to an otherwise very rich cake. I use normal fresh eggs.
Recipe (for 8″ cake)
- 1 large pack sponge fingers (about 24 pieces)
- cocoa powder for dusting
- 4 tsp instant coffee powder
- 100 ml hot water
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 50g icing sugar
- 200ml dairy whipping cream (at least 35% in fat)
- 3 tsp gelatin + 40 ml hot water (mixed till melted, optional)
- 2 egg whites
- 30g caster sugar
1. Prepare 8″ cake ring by wrapping one bottom with clingwrap, and placing it on a cake board.
2. Prepare coffee syrup by mixing the coffee and hot water. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Place a clean, empty mixing bowl in freezer ahead. Take out the bowl, place on ice pack and whip the whipping cream till stiff peak. Do not overwhipped or it will curdle and the cake will fail to set later. Place the whipped cream to chill in the fridge for later use.
4. Place 2 egg yolks and icing sugar in another bowl and whip till light and thick. Add in the mascarpone and mix till even.
5. Now make the meringue by beating the 2 egg whites and gradually adding the caster sugar till stiff peak.
6. If gelatin is used, make sure that gelatin is fully dissolved in the 40 ml of water. Add this into the mascarpone mixture and stir quickly to avoid the gelatin solidifying immediately into lumps.
7. Add the whipped cream, meringue to the mascarpone mixture and mix gently with a spatula gently till evenly mixed with no white streaks. Try not to deflate the whipped cream and meringue too much.
8. We can now assemble the cake. Take out the sponge fingers, coffee syrup and cake ring. Dip the sponge fingers into the coffee syrup for two seconds and place them into the cake ring. Cut the sponge fingers if necessary.
9. Spread about half the mascarpone filling on top. Smoothen the surface.
10. Repeat for another layer of sponge fingers. Then pour in the rest of the filling. Chill the cake overnight in the fridge.
11. To remove the cake, place a warm towel around the cake ring for a short white and lift the ring slowly for the cake to slide out. Wrap the excess cling wrap underneath the cake board. Dust on cocoa powder before serving.