These are easy, yummy and healthier than fried ones. I first tried the recipe from bigger bolder baking, but mine turned out a little dense. After some adjustments by increasing eggs and temperature, I’m now very satisfied with these.
Recipe (makes about 18)
- 55g salted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 110g water
- 70g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 90g fresh milk
- 40g chocolate
- 1/2 tsp corn starch mix with 1 tsp water
1. Add water, butter and sugar in a pot. Heat till butter and sugar has melted, and liquid comes to a simmer.
2. Take off stove and add flour at one go. Mix quickly till no dry flour. Return to stove at low heat and mix for 1 min to reduce moisture.
3. Take off stove and let cool for a while. Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl with fork and add vanilla.
4. Add eggs to dough in 4 to 5 batches, each time mixing in well with spatula.
5. Place in piping bag with a big star nozzle.
6. Pipe on 2 layers of baking paper.
7. Bake at 210 degrees C for 20 min. Churros will puff up slightly. After 20 min, off the oven but let Churros remain inside for 10 min with oven door slightly open.
8. For chocolate sauce, warm milk in a pot. Add in chocolate and stir till all melted. Keep stirring to avoid burning. The chocolate will take some time to melt and mix well with the milk.
9. Mix corn starch slurry and add in. Off the flames and stir till sauce thickens. Serve immediately.