Really easy recipe here, should be quite fail-proof. Some tips to ensure a full bloom:
- Fill batter fully or near brim
- Cupcakes liner must be strong or placed in a deep muffin tray like mine. Else, get the individual metal cups
- Do not reduce baking powder amount
- Slitting the top with an oiled knife helps with the controlled bloom.
- Steam high heat throughout, ensure steamer is ready when placing cakes in.
Recipe ( for 6 muffin sized)
- 150g Gula Melaka
- 200ml coconut milk
- 70-80g water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Pinch of salt
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Chop up Gula Melaka, place into a pot with water, coconut milk and salt. Heat gently till dissolved.
2. Add 2 tbsp of oil and mix. Set aside to cool.
3. Prepare steamer and start heating it now.
4. Sift flour with baking powder.
5. Mix flour into cooled Gula Melaka mixture in 3 batches. Batter will be lumpy. Add 1-2 tbsp water if batter is too thick to stir.
6. Spoon into cup liners which I have placed into a muffin tray. Use a knife dipped into oil to try to make a cross-slit. You can see faint marks below.
7. Steam on high for 17 min and skewer comes up clean. Serve warm.