Really easy recipe here, should be quite fail-proof. Some tips to ensure a full bloom:
- Fill batter fully or near brim
- Cupcakes liner must be strong or placed in a deep muffin tray like mine. Else, get the individual metal cups
- Do not reduce baking powder amount
- Slitting the top with an oiled knife helps with the controlled bloom.
- Steam high heat throughout, ensure steamer is ready when placing cakes in.
Recipe ( for 6 muffin sized)
- 150g Gula Melaka
- 120g coconut milk
- 130g – 140g water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Pinch of salt
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Chop up Gula Melaka, place into a pot with water, coconut milk and salt. Heat gently till dissolved.2. Add 2 tbsp of oil and mix. Set aside to cool.3. Prepare steamer and start heating it now.4. Sift flour with baking powder.5. Mix flour into cooled Gula Melaka mixture in 3 batches. Batter will be thick. Add 1-2 tbsp water if batter is too thick to stir.6. Spoon into cup liners which I have placed into a muffin tray. Use a knife dipped into oil to try to make a cross-slit. You can see faint marks below.7. Steam on high for 17 min and skewer comes up clean. Serve warm.