I adore this recipe, the sweet aroma when baking was indescribable. Showing both the plain and wholemeal ones here and they are both delish. I hope it’s healthy too. I used these sweet potatoes and I think they really lent beautiful colour, moisture and depth in taste to the buns.
Latest Bake on 18 Oct 2017
I replaced the orange with purple sweet potato in equal amount and made into burger buns. The recipe worked perfectly. It gave a lovely purple Colour with a soft pillowy texture.
Recipe (makes 12 to 13)
- 100g sweet potato puree.
- 240g bread flour
- 60g wholemeal flour (Replace with bread flour, if not making wholemeal)
- 30g whipping cream (if no whipping cream, replace all liquids with milk –> 160g milk)
- 70g milk
- 60g water
- 25g sugar
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 20g butter
- 1/3 tsp salt.
1. Add liquids (cream, milk and water) to bread and wholemeal flours and leave to stand for 20 min or so.
2. Boil/ steam sweet potato till soft. Mash and strain through sieve. Measure out 100g and leave to completely cool.
3. Add everything except butter and salt into mixer and knead till a rough dough forms.
4. Add in butter and salt. Knead till window pane. Shape into round dough and proof for 40 min.
5. After 1st proof, divide into 45g portions and shape into round doughs. Rest for 10 min.
6. Shape the doughs into long carrot shape.
7. Roll out with rolling pin, gently pat away air bubbles at edges, then Swiss roll up.
8. Proof with a bowl of warm water in a switched OFF oven, for about 1 hour. Egg wash with whole beaten egg.
9. Bake at 175 deg C for 15 min. Cool before eating.
Plain buns follow.