These are really yummy. I kept going back and forth between the sweet and savory flavors. Together with my kids, we ate 7 out of the 8 rolls at one go. That’s a full loaf worth of bread with fillings here. You have been warned.
Recipe (makes 8 rolls you see here)
- 260g bread flour
- 70g yoghurt (preferably no flavor and sugar)
- 30g milk
- 50 – 55g water
- 1/2 or 25g egg
- 25g sugar
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 25g butter
- 1/3 tsp salt
Strawberry Cream Cheese fillings (for 4 rolls, double if making 8 rolls)
- 75g creamcheese
- 25g – 40g strawberry jam (depends on jam sweetness and adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp icing sugar (optional)
Bacon fillings (for 4 rolls, double if making 8 rolls)
- 4 strips of bacon
- spring onion and shredded cheese for garnishing
1. Add all dough ingredients except butter and salt into stand mixer. Knead for about 5 min till a rough dough forms. Add in butter and salt. Knead for another 15-20min till window pane. Stop frequently to scrape down the sides and turn the dough. Cover and proof for 1 hour.
2. After proofing, turn dough onto counter-top. Press with palm gently from centre to edges, to degas.
3. Divide dough in 8 pieces of 60g, roll them into round balls. Cover and rest for 10 min.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Caterpillar Buns
4. While the dough was proofing, mix all strawberry cream cheese fillings ingredients in a bowl with a fork.
5. When ready, take one of the 60g dough and roll out into a rectangular shape, with the smooth side up.
6. Turn over, place 25g -30g of cream cheese filling as shown.
7. Roll from top down,two times.
8. With a scraper, cut little strips on the bottom stretch.
9. Gently pull and lay the strips over the bun. Then repeat for the rest. Cover and proof for about 50 min.
10. After proofing, sieve some plain flour over the the dough. Bake at 165 deg C for 20 min.
Bacon and Cheese Plaited Buns
11. When ready, take one of the 60g dough and roll out into a rectangular shape, with the smooth side up. Place a strip of bacon and use the scraper to make cuts on both sides as shown.
12. Then plait the little strips inwards as shown. It’s okay that the bacon is not fully covered by the dough. Repeat for the rest. Cover and proof for 50 min.
13. After proofing, eggwash (with a whole beaten egg). Garnish with shredded cheese and spring onion as preferred.
14. Bake at 165 deg C for about 20-25min. Cool on a wire rack, before eating.