Took this recipe from my kid’s Geronimo book, and lo and behold, it was totally legit. More than that, it was delicious, the kids wiped out the whole pot in no time, when none of them likes tomato itself. Makes you wonder what you have been drinking as tomato soup all this time.
The roasting of the pepper and tomato really set all the tummies alarms off.
Here’s the recipe with some adaptation and details.
- 4 XL ripe tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 4 pieces garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bowl of chicken stock (or 1 cube chicken stock with water)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
1. Slice bell pepper (remove seeds) and tomatoes, place on aluminium line baking tray.
2. Using fan forced mode, roast at 175 deg C for 35 min. The skin will dry up and the veggies will turn soft, there should be a strong aroma, but don’t burn them.
3. Saute onion and garlic in heated olive oil till aromatic. Add in tomatoes and pepper, stir fry some more.
4. Add in chicken stock, then salt and pepper to taste.
5. Using a blender, purée the whole soup mixture. Return to pot to heat up again and taste. Add in lemon juice last for a tangy taste.
Freshest tomato soup you will ever eat, and I only used cheap Malaysian ones that didn’t even cost me $2.