Lovely delicious quiche you won’t regret making. I’ve made this twice over the past week and it’s so much better than all the outside ones I’ve ever had. From the all butter crust, to the filling chocked full of natural cheeses, bacons etc, it’s just lip-smacking good.
Recipe (for 9.5 inch round fluted tart pan or 7″ by 10″ rectangle dish)
Pie Crust (excess can be frozen or chilled till next use)
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 75 g salted butter
- 35g egg beaten and measure out
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp ice water
- 160g to 180g back bacon chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- Few stalks of parsley or spring onion (optional)
- 150g shredded cheese ( mixed types are fine)
- 2 eggs beaten with 140g cooking cream and 140g fresh milk and 1/2 tsp salt (salt is optional)
- Crushed black pepper and dry herbs to taste (optional)
1. Start with crust. Place all dry ingredients (plain flour, baking powder and sugar) in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Add in butter cut into cubes and rub in till a meal or grainy texture.
3. Add in beaten egg. Mix till a dough forms. Add ice water to help dough come together smoothly.
4. Wrap and chill for 1 hour in fridge.
5. Now prepare fillings. Fry bacon lightly and set aside.
6. In same wok, add a little oil, fry onion and parsley lightly and set aside.
7. Mix eggs and cream and milk in a beaker.
8. Take dough out of fridge and roll out with a baking paper on top to avoid sticking. About 3 to 4mm thick.
9. With the help of the rolling pin, roll up dough sheet on pin and then unroll on top of the container pan or dish.
10. With knife and fingers, remove excess and neaten the edge.
11. Place in freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to harden. At this point, you can blind bake the shell for 8 min at 200 deg C, if you like. I have done with and without blind bake and both are fine.
12. Finally, we can assemble. Start with a layer of onion and parsley. Then shredded cheese and then bacon. Add all the cream and eggs mixture. Then sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon on the surface.
Lastly, you can also add a dash of freshly crushed black pepper and mixed dried herbs on top.
13. Bake at 200 deg C for 30 to 35 minutes.