These are really fast to make, all hand knead, and very yummy and nutritious for the little ones.
It has more bite than the baos we are used to, soaks up gravy well and so goes really well with Chinese dishes like Lor Bak.
Recipe (original recipe here on YouTube)
- 115g fresh milk
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
- 30g caster sugar
- 15g oil
- 200g plain flour
1. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir with spatula until no dry flour.
2. Turn onto a mat and knead with hands. Knead for 10-15 mins till a smooth elastic dough forms.
3. Cover and rest for 5 min.
4. Flour surface lightly and place dough onto mat.
5. Roll out into a rectangular piece as shown.
6. Brush with water.
7. Press down bottom end.
8. Swissroll up.
9. Roll out longer, ensuring even thickness, about 3 cm in diameter.
10. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
11. Place onto a piece of baking paper.
12. Proof in an enclosed warm environment for 30 to 40 min, till about 1.5 times in size.
13. Place in steamer with boiling water and steam on high heat for 10 min. Serve hot.
5 Comments Add yours
Hi what if use instant yeast will how many g? thanks
This is instant yeast. 1 tsp is about 2g.
Hi there. Thanks so much for your detailed recipe. Can i use hongkong flour for this?