A very easy adaptation of a classic butter cake recipe. I baked them into cupcakes. There is no need for egg separation, yet cake is still light and fluffy and not dense with oily patches.
You can also bake into a whole cake. Just 1.5 times the recipe below, bake 175 deg for 40 min in a 7″ round tin.
Recipe (makes 8 cupcakes)
- 125g salted butter cut into cubes
- 85g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 30 ml milk
1. Cream cold butter, salt and sugar till light and fluffy. At this stage, don’t over cream.
2. Add in eggs 1 by 1, beat really well at high speed after each addition till well mixed. When adding the last egg, there may be some curdling, continue to beat at high speed till no more curdling. However, do not beat for too long as well because the butter will start to melt and you may get oily patches.
3. Sift flour with baking powder. Then add half to the butter mixture. Mix well at low speed
4. Add vanilla into milk first. Add in half the milk and mix and low speed again, just a few seconds. Repeat for the rest of the flour and milk. Batter is quite thick.
5. Spoon into paper cups as below about 2/3 full.
6. Top with chocolate chips if you like. Bake at 180 deg C for 25 min.
7. Cool on rack.