If you love pancakes, and willing to put in some effort, here’s a great recipe for soft, fluffy and tasty pancakes. What I did was to take a sponge cake batter, and just pan fried it. It has got no whopping amount of rising agents, and in fact no chemicals at all. The meringue alone is enough to give the thick, fluffy texture.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1.5 tbsp milk
- 35g cake flour sifted
- 2 egg whites
- 1 table spoon sugar
Method (makes 4 medium pan cakes)
1. Hand whisk egg yolks till light.
2. Add in 1.5 table spoon of oil and whisk till combined.
3. Add milk, then fold in flour. Mix with hand whisk till even. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites with electric mixer till foamy. Add in the table spoon of sugar and beat till stiff peak meringue.
5. Mix 1/3 of meringue into the yolk mixture and mix till even with hand whisk.
6. Pour yolk mixture back into rest of meringue and fold gently till combined with a spatula.
7. Heat a pan with a little oil and pour in the final batter. Shake pan lightly to spread out batter, flip when lots of bubbles form on top. Use low heat to cook slowly. Remove from pan when cooked.
8. Before pouring in the next batch of batter, stir the batter with spatula to make sure it’s even.
9. Serve with butter and honey.