Now I know why this Richard Goh’s recipe pops up all the time when I google for banana cake recipe. It’s easy (whole eggs) and so soft and chock full of banana. I used 5.5 (200g) in this 3 egg recipe, yet texture still fluffy and soft.
Gula Melaka Banana Cake
I have also tried to make a Gula Melaka version and it’s so fragrant and tasty. Just replace 50g of the caster sugar with 50g of melted Gula Melaka (make sure it is lukewarm and not hot), and the rest of the steps are exactly the same.
Recipe (adapted from Richard Goh, 7″ square tin)
- 3 eggs (about 160g to 180g without shell)
- 110g caster sugar (can replace with 60g caster sugar and 50g melted Gula Melaka to make the Gula Melaka version)
- 200g ripe banana (mash with fork)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 90g oil (reduced from 100g)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 50g crushed walnut (optional)
1. Sift flour with baking powder and soda. Include cinnamon powder if using. Pre-heat oven to 160 deg C.
2. Mash bananas with a fork.
(Optional) Chop walnuts and mix with a tsp of flour.
(Optional) Melt 50-60g of Gula Melaka with 1 tbsp of water in a pot under low heat if using. Sieve and measure out 50g. Wait till lukewarm to use.
3. Add eggs, sugar, banana and salt into a stand mixer and beat on high for 5-10 minutes (depends on your mixer), till light and stiff peak.
4. Add flour in 3 batches. Beat on low for 10-15 seconds after each addition. Finally use a spatula to go around the sides and bottom gently to ensure a good mix with no clumps. Try not to deflate batter.
5. Take out about 1/4 of batter and add into the bowl of oil. Use a spatula to mix till even. This will take a few minutes.
6. Pour the oil mixture back into the main batter and mix with spatula till combined.
7. Pour batter into lined cake tin and tap to release large bubbles. Add walnuts on top if using. Bake for 40-45 min at 160 deg C, with top and bottom mode. I switch to fan mode for last 10 min. Adjust accordingly for your oven.
6. Cool before slicing.
You can also bake in a 7″ round tin for a taller cake. Baking time is about the same.